Siem Reap: More than just Temples & Binge Drinking

February 22, 2017


HELLO AGAIN! and Welcome back to my sacred space.

Yet again, life as a nurse decides to take a toll on me, therefore, a getaway is what I need. Having a mere week off is pretty tough, considering the fact that I prefer western countries more, but whatever, can't complain!
Siem Reap, Cambodia it is! (only 2 hours away from Singapore so not too bad)

But First Let me Take a selfie!
1. Party Hostel = Funky Flashpacker
If you're travelling alone, and aren't so bold to CS I strongly suggest you stay in a hostel. In that way you can make friends, form alliances, and travelling won't be that boring.

I stayed at Funky Flashpacker, a party hostel that's in a seriously good location.
and when they say 'Party Hostel', they really mean a party hostel. Every night is a different party deal. So yeh, I would deffos recommend this, not just for the party, but it's much easier to make friends when people are a little intoxicated.

I manage to form alliance with these 2 Dutch girls from Amsterdam, and they pree much made my trip :)

Oh, and did i mention, that despite being in an Asian Country, I found myself the ONLY (like literally) asian girl in the hostel, besides the Cambodian Staff  rofl


2. Cambodian Cooking Class cum CS event

As many of you know, my ultimate forte is doing CS.
CS is recommended if you're travelling alone, wanting to make friends, or even wanting to learn about the culture in a more personal perspective.
CS's slogan, "Live like a Local" definitely lives up to its name.

So Anyway, one of the CS-ers in Siem Reap, Ratha, not only offered to pick me up from the airport, but also invited me to a Cooking class.

I love to cook, and one of the things on my To-do list was to learn how to cook Cambodian Food. However, the cooking classes in Siem Reap can be up to US 50. meh. No way I'm spending on that. Fortunately, Ratha was offering his cooking classes at USD 5!


And what's more fun is that, unline the typical cooking class, Ratha's event is on a more smaller scale, and people actually take time to get to know each other.
All these CSers i've met, from US, Hongkong, Canada, Turkey, have been travelling for months, even hitch hiking, and well,
all I've been travelling is for 4 days LOL

3. Route 66

When you here Route 66, I betcha thinking about CARS the movie, or like a highway in America. Well, Siem Reap has it's own Route 66 (literally called that), that's also like a little highway.

Situated just opposite the Angkor wat Ticketing, it confidently boasts hundreds of street stores, selling fake goods, food and souvenirs. There's also a little theme park!

A little Tip: Go there at night. It's much more alive, and 'happening'. Just tell your tuktuk driver, "Route 66"

Shout out to Juan, a fellow CSer who brought me around!


4. Night/Day Markets

Mostly souvenirs, dried goods, local stuff, etc etc.
Pree sure people know about this place, so just putting it out there.

5. Get Yo History On!
There are 2 museums in Siem Reap that's actually worth the visit,  but sadly, due to time constraints, and the fact that I was always too hungover to function (oops), I only managed to visit one them, which is The Angkor National Museum. (entry $12).

Sadly, I lost my pictures, so let me steal one now.

Fareastvacation.com)
The Museum boasts its flashy Khmer Art, Architecture and Culture and History. Has a shitload af of Sculptures from th Angkor Temples, that are unbelievably beautiful. So if you can, you should check it out.

6. Pubstreet
This of course, goes without saying. A must to visit if you are feeling upset that your lover has cheated on you, or you need a good one night stand, or a crazy night out with your friends, well this place has it all!

My dutchies at the back!
Basically went there and spammed on US 1.50 tequila shots (Singapore costs like almost $20 ugh), and on the 2nd day, I spammed even more, and ended up losing my phone hahah greaaaat.

But it was great, coz despite being alone, I made a lot of (very drunk) friends and it felt like a whole new happy world when we were together.

7. AngKor Temples
I said I wouldn't touch on this topic, but it's inevitable.






*note, these pictures do not belong to me. My friend (hi Amber!) sent it over, so credits to her.

The Angkor Temples were AMAZING. But what made it fun was the group of people I went with - 2 Dutch girls & 2 German guys. They were a serious fun bunch and never failed to include me in whatever they did.

Deffos a must to go.



Other stuff :.

Funny story: I actually didn't know Siem Reap uses US Dollar, so I was confused initially and politely demanded for the Cambodian Currency.
Big mistake.

HUGE. 

how stupid am i lol


Upon arrival, you'll see a lot of TukTuk/Car/Van drivers waiting for you or asking you if you need  ride. It's okay they're not scamming haha.
Seeing that the Minimum cost for Transport (for a basic Tuktuk) is USD 6 (SGD 8.50) and being the cheapo that I really am, I decided not to pay but in fact got a ride to my hostel from one of my Couchsurfing Host who offered.

so you seeee, CS does wonders! :)

That's pree much it, feel free to drop me an email if you need help with anything!


Oh, and enjoy this video montage :)




Till then xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog