Hopes & Ambitions of a 17-year-old.

January 02, 2018



Just last year, in late October, I received a post from my secondary school. It has been about more than 5 years since I graduated, so obviously I thought It was rather odd to receive such a post.

I was suspicious that perhaps I was invited to the grand re-opening of the schools, or I haven't paid my school fees, and it took them 5 years to reach me. (haha)

Carefully, I tore open the envelope, only to find a blue sheet of paper, with horrible penmanship.

It wrote:

My Dear Victoria Anne,

This is what I want to accomplish by 21:

1) Get into Nursing School
2) Graduate from there
3) Work in a Hospital
4) Pursue my degree and finish at PhD level
5) Reach out to people overseas
6) Look after my parents (Provide them with money)
7) Stand out and take risks
8) Love myself, family and friends more
9) Join the United Nations


Suddenly after reading this, I had a flash back:

It was just a few weeks till the long dreaded O'level examinations. I was 17 and I was sitting in one of those Pastoral Care classes. I studied in a convent (for about 11 years), and we were taught more than just academics. They also focus on spiritual growth and values, hence, the Pastoral Care classes (which i always thought it was a waste of time, but it helped us in terms of personal growth).

The teacher hands us each a blue sheet of paper, and asked us to list down all the ambitions we want to accomplish by 21. She then went on and on about the importance of planning, so on and so forth. I really didn't care about the activity. I was more stressed out with the fact that I was so under-prepared for exams, and the activity is such a waste of time. Halfheartedly, I wrote down whatever was on the top of my head and attempted to list down as many as I could so it looked like I actually bothered to put in effort. (That's why some of them are pretty unrealistic)

The teacher then said
"Okay, all these letters will be mailed to you in 5 years. We will keep them in our archives until the time comes"

YEAH RIGHT. like that's going to happen.

All of us forgot about it after graduating and moving on with life.


Not until that day I received the letter.
I reflected on myself, and the past 5 years - What I've done, what I've accomplished.
It's crazy to think that I actually accomplished most of it. obviously not unrealistic ones ahah

So now what have I done?

I did get into Nursing school and
I did graduated.
I do have a full time position in a Hospital, and amazingly enough, it's a catholic hospital.
I do have friends overseas, or in fact all over the world.
I do look after my parents.
I did travel (and still am), and exposed myself to difficulties, culture shocks and took risks. Then I wrote an article about it. (here)
And everyday, I stay grateful for the people who have rooting for me.

Some of them are still in progress:
I'm still saving up for my degree that is happening in July 2018.
Not too sure If I'm going to do a PhD. It's still too early to tell, so I will definitely keep you updated
and about the United Nations, well... I don't really know haha Like I said, I just wanted to fill the paper up.


I guess the main point is, never give up. Stay focus, work towards your goal, Because dreams do come true, to the ones who won't stop fighting for it.
and if you feel really low and about to give in, have faith because sometimes, you need that little extra push from that someone :)

till then xx

Happy 2018!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog