Travelling Alone...

March 12, 2018


Travelling alone is one of the biggest, boldest, and scariest step to take toward independence, and it's not easy when you have no one to give you advice

I had quite a few of questions from some of my readers (I know its weird I honestly didn't think anyone would read my space) and friends regarding my experiences when it comes to travelling alone,  so I thought I'd lay out all the cards down and answer some of them.



1.When was your first time Travelling alone and where?
My very first time travelling alone, without any friends and parents, was when I was 18, and that was my very first exposure to the European continent.

I had met a friend from school and she told me that she was heading over to Germany, and I thought,
"wow that's kinda cool! Travelling I mean."

I've stuck in a certain mindset since I finished Secondary school - Education above Leisure, and really I forgot what It was like to actually have fun. Observing how Independent and strong my friend presented herself, It inspired me to be like that.

Anyways, We met up in Berlin, Germany, and at that time I was insane over Borussia Dortmund (heja Bvb!) and really wanted to head over to Dortmund to see the stadium and the place and what not, so we separated for a bit.

But, Before Dortmund was a stop in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

I had a couchsurfer who accepted my request to stay, and I was literally more than 3 hours late from the time I was supposed to arrive.
(Did I mention I missed my train.)

As a 18-year-old clueless girl, I knew absolutely NOTHING about The Netherlands, except for the fact that the are very unique, or at least on TV they are portrayed "Holland" to be like that.
Literally ZERO knowledge about the country.

I hopped off the train at the Amsterdam Centraal, where I got lost for 1 hour, walking around in circles because I had no freaking clue where the heck the exit is. (Looking back, I'm so embarrassed that happened.)

Not knowing that The Netherlands has very unpredictable weather, I was walking in search of my CSer's place, in the cold with a trench coat, lost and helpless, whilst struggling with my 25kg check-in luggage, and my 10kg hand carry LOL because first time Asian travelers.

Fast forward, I spent my Christmas in Dortmund, Germany, with this German girl I met on couchsurfing, and we got along so well!
We made Christmas cookies together, she took me out to have a taste of Gluhwein (Hot wine), I got to meet her family and had the privilege to celebrate her birthday, where I passed out on the couch in the club HAHA

After Dortmund, It was back to Berlin, where I reunited with my friend, and we spent New Year's Day together.

What a trip!



2) How did you feel the first time you traveled alone? and how did you overcome that?

DAMN BRAVE LOR!

Nah, but There was definitely that sense of excitement and anxiousness because at that point, everything seemed so uncertain and foreign to me.  I was of course mostly scared, and for those who know well enough, I was especially a quiet person. I don't initiate conversations and evidently I was out of my comfort zone, and yeah, being really short, young and asian, everything and everyone seemed so intimidating.

I guess it took me awhile to realise that I'm no different from everyone else. We're all equal. We all come from different places with different stories. Coincidentally, we happened to be in Europe, some to travel, to learn and to find themselves, while making memories. To make memories, it was only possible if someone were to take a step forward first and just say "hello".

Since I was alone, I could only make memories for myself, which is quite sad actually, so I figure,to try making some friends and Then make it epiccccc.

Stepping out of my comfort zone was not very pleasant, but I had no choice either, because if I was going to keep my mouth shut, I'm probably wasting my vacation.
So yeah, garnered enough courage, and well, it leaded me to making some friends that I've kept in touched with.

In other words, just talk to people lah!

Berlin at 18 (2014)
3) What are some challenges you faced while travelling alone and how did you over come it?

(i)Direction
The first time I traveled, direction was definitely an issue.
Besides the fact that I had problems comprehending the transport system, I also realised I had no freaking clue where I was going most of the time.

 I was completely ill-prepared for the whole trip. No research done, whatsoever. And often find myself wandering around aimlessly, looking confused and lost, to the point that people actually had to come up to me and ask me if I was alright LOL

But thankfully, there's this thing called "The Free Walking Tours".
My "dutch mama" actually introduced this to me.
Sandeman New Europe Tours is prolly one of the most well known companies that are doing the free walking tours. They have a wide variety of tours you can choose from. (Not all are free tho)
Yes, they are free, but usually at the end of the tour, you can choose if you want to tip or nah, and the amount.

What I absolutely love about these tours, is that they are not scripted at all. The tour guides have the liberty to decide how they want to do their tours. In a way, it's more genuine and personalized.

*Note: This is not an ad. I really just like this concept.


(ii) Language
In certain countries, English isn't the forte, and as much as we aspire to be a polyglot, it'll no doubt would never happen..

I've always found myself in a situation where I speak to someone in English and they're like "Oh! No English". Then I'd have to gather some courage and start asking people if they do speak English, which is not necessarily a bad thing to do, but there are some days you simply prefer to not talk to anyone (I don't know, Mood swings?)

THANKFULLY, there is something called "Google Translate", which honestly is exceedingly useful for my travels as well as my workplace. Surprisingly, people actually like the fact that I used Google Translate - they thought it was such a cute asian thing.


(iii) Discrimination
Urgh this is everywhere in the world, but whatever. We can't help that some people are ignorant af.

I still remembered that Deborah and I were in Krakow, Poland, and this American dude, asked us where we were from.

"Singapore," said Deborah.

The guy's reply? "Oh I love Singapore! I love to eat Sushi!"

Obviously, he is uneducated enough to not tell the difference between Singapore & Japan. Sure, we are part of Asia, but excu-se you for messing up our cultures. Urgh


It's like me telling, "Oh I love USA! I love Mexican food!".


4) Travelling alone is so boring, why would you do that?

Preferences, my friend. Preferences.

I honestly do not mind travelling with friends. I mean, you get to make memories together, you're not completely alone, and also, you have someone to bear travelling costs with. Then again, it depends on what kind of person you friend is - Too high maintenance? or too chill? or just depend on you for everything?

I'm fairly picky when it comes to travelling with friends. I don't just agree to travel with someone just because we have been in good terms for say, a few months. I prefer travelling with someone I have history with. I feel safer, knowing this person that I'm with, has survived good and bad times with me, and I know I can fully trust her. So as to save all that trouble, I'd opt to travel alone anytime.

Truthfully, the reason I prefer travelling alone is that, I love a good challenge, and travelling alone gives me ultimate adrenaline rush. In a country that is not my own, I'm faced with hurdles and road blocks to overcome, whilst on the journey to my final destination.  And as cliche as it sounds, it is true when they say:

" It is ultimately not about the destination, but about the Journey itself."

because, in the end, that journey tells an unforgettable story.


-





Till then.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog