Traveling Solo: Couchsurf Or Hostels?

May 03, 2018

Paul's Crib in Den Haag, The Netherlands

Hello Earthlings!

Most of you may know that I am a regular and proud over-user of Couchsurfing. If you're new to this and would like to try a different way of travelling, I suggest you look into couchsurfing! I started using this method of travelling 4 years ago, and no regrets right there.

I know many have asked (and I, myself have this issue) -
When do we courchsurf, and when do we stay in Hostels?

It's a question I always ask myself when I'm planning my trips, so I've decided to be generous and break it down for ya, and go through my actual thought process.

There are quite a number of factors that I'd consider first before deciding where I would stay. Destination, Accommodation cost, my budget, Location, just to name a few.

1. COST
Cost is the primary thing I look at whenever I search for hostels. I’m a self-proclaimed "psycho queen of all cheap", hence, I would usually go for the cheapest options, even if the difference between the next hostel on the list is $2. (Because then, I would think about what I could buy with the $2 I've saved. Yes, that Psycho)

I’m not entirely picky when it comes to accommodations, as I believe it is just a platform for me to shower and rest my head.


2. Location
I don’t fancy staying in hostels or couchsurfing houses that are too far away from City Centre and main attractions. It would be easier to navigate my way around, complete the main tourist attractions and return back to the hostel in time. I tend to also save a lot on transport, as I would prefer to walk.



3. Amenities
Specifically for hostels, since I am paying to sleep, I always would want to stay in a hostel where the
toilets are clean, where they have a kitchen I can cook in (so as to save mooooolah), and bar I can socialize at. More importantly, the hostel must have wifi! It is a must!

This usually isn't a problem for Couchsurf homes, because most of them do live with wifi or cannot live without wifi. However, an issue I've encountered would be the (sometimes) really dirty toilets. They're not hopelessly terrible, but they could do some cleaning. Sadly, no choice, I gotta suck it up, and just bathe in it.

Another thing would do is to wash the toilet floors (thoroughly) before being barefoot in it, or I would wear my slippers into the shower.

Kingsland, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
4. Type 
This goes specifically for couchsurfing.
Ensure you read the profile thoroughly first  because accepting/sending requests, because sometimes you may end up staying with a psychopath or a perv, and i'm sure, You don't want that!

Reading their references is a must!! More positive reviews = Reliable hosts.
Also, try to strike conversations with the hosts randomly, so you can roughly gauge what kind of person they are from their responses.

I've gotten replies like "Ooh baby my D**k is hard just looking at your photos" when I asked about the weather.

LOL

5. Destination
It is a factor because it generally determines the kind of experiences I seek. For
example, If I am in the city of Amsterdam, where it is notoriously known for their havoc parties, legal prostitution and practice of Canabis, I would want to stay in party hostel, because my main goal is to meet new people, have fun and party, in a city that knows how to do so.

(Plus! It's rude to return back to your CS host's home at 3am every night don't you think so?)

Likewise, if I am visiting a city like Berlin or Krakow, where it is rich in history and culture, I would prefer to couchsurf as it gives me a more local and personalized touch.



I don’t necessarily make it a point to always stay in hostels or couchsurf when I travel. It truly depends on the situation, but I would say I prefer to stay in them, as it is a much cheaper option then to stay in a hotel or even hostel.

I’ve realized that the main reason why people overspend when they’re overseas, is due to the cost of accommodation. Accommodation takes approximately almost 40-50% of the entire trip, which leaves someone of a very tight budget, very little to do.

I am confident that couchsurfing or staying in Hostels is effective in alleviating the money spent on accommodation, by at least 60-100%.


Couchsurfing is FREE. Yes, you don’t have to pay to couchsurf.
However, it is a form of culture exchange; hence you are expected to share something that is of your culture. It can be as simple as, bringing a key chain from home, teaching new card games, or telling stories. In any way you have to give back, because nothing in the world is truly free, except kindness.
Usually if I’m couchsurfing, I would prepare a meal for my hosts, wash their dishes, or do their laundry.  It’s these small little things that the host appreciates, because they know you’re trying and it is better that giving nothing back. After all, they have been rather generous to accept me in their homes.


Another reason why I prefer couch surfing and staying in hostels to staying in hotels/Airbnb, is because simply, I love meeting new people, getting new connections and making friends. It definitely makes the trips more enjoyable and meaningful, especially when you’re sharing it with someone. After all, we are all strangers than happened to be at the same place at the same time, so why not just be friends.


XX

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog